Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Sisters Brothers

Every so often you sort of stumble upon a book and it ends up being a real "WOW" experience. I acquired The Sisters Brothers over a year ago at a book sale, at the recommendation of "C" -- who reads my blog, and was at the same sale.
I think she actually handed it to me and said "You have to read this!"
She was right.
What a terrific book, I just finished it last night, but it is still resonating and echoing through me.
I am not a reader of "westerns" -- and you probably aren't, either. This book is sometimes spoken of as being in that genre -- the Western -- but trust me, this is not Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey writing this.
Patrick DeWitt is a genius. He takes a tale of the wild wild west, and turns it into something damn near poetic. And no -- it's not poetry -- it's just that the two main characters, Charlie and Eli Sisters, are ruthless killers -- yet they are also thinkers. Sensitive. Especially Eli, who is the narrator. This thing is written in first-person, from his point of view. They are mercenary killers, itinerate outlaws who travel as hitmen. And this is the story of their… final job.
Oh my God it is an ingenious book. At times so brutal, yet tinged with elements of farce, and humor.
I loved it. Loved it. One of the best books I have read this year, for sure.
I believed every page of The Sisters Brothers -- and if any of you know me, you know that is always the verbal representation of my highest praise for a novel. I have to believe in it.
I believed in this one.
Watch this incredibly excellent video-clip, which delineates the novel better than I ever could do it. 

I agree with everything said by the panel at the end, after the actual commentary by the author.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but... I told you so!
C.

Danielle said...

After reading your recent comment on my blog, guess what book I just ordered tonight?? I thought it sounded interesting to begin with (though I,too, am not a fan of Westerns), but I just needed that gentle nudge--and favorite books of the year always catch my eye. So I am excited to know it will soon be winging it's way to me. I will have to take it to the coffee shop when I get it! :) Happy Holidays Cipriano! Hope 2014 is filled with such great reads as this one!